Sunday, May 16, 2010

It's Been a While!

While out on the land with my students we came across a resting dog team.





Myself and my friend just outside of the community during our daily walk.
















Me again with one my my students. We climbed up a small cliff while out on the land.








Well, it's obviously been far too long since I've posted on here but I will try to catch you up to speed. I arrived back in the community quite excited to start another year. I received the warmest of welcomes from everyone with handshakes from adults and children singing out
their windows "Welcome home". The year has been slightly challenging but thats a part of why I like teaching here.

Some highlights include: Helping out with getting our boys basketball team to a tournament in Iqaluit. Meeting many other northern teachers at our Baffin wide Professional Improvement week in Iqaluit in February and most recently being involved in a high school exchange trip to Quebec! (I'll have to add more about that...)

My only excuse for lack of blogging is that I started my MEd online in the fall. Most of my spare time (other than extra-curriculars...) is spent trying to keep up with readings and course work for that!



2 comments:

David said...

Hi!

I am a preservice teacher in training in North-East Australia. I am intrigued by life in Nunavut and would like to know how you found the application process for become a teacher. I realise from reading your blog that you are exceedingly busy, so I understand if you don't have much time. Great pictures by the way. My email is axler8@gmail.com. Thanks and hope you are having fun,

David

Unknown said...

Hi I am a 1st year teacher, just completed a 6 month contract in Cape York, which is a remote region in the far north of Australia.
[http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Kowanyama,+Queensland,+Australia&sll=-27.470933,153.023502&sspn=2.276031,5.410767&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Kowanyama+Queensland,+Australia&z=7]

I am also interested in teaching in Nunavut. If you have a spare moment to email me:
michael.j.cooke(at)gmail.com

Keep away from the polar bears,

M.C.